Sunday, January 24, 2010

Rainy days and Sundays...


I have a day job.

I call myself a photographer, and I am, but I have to have the day job to keep food on the table, and such like that. Photography is my passion, but it doesn't pay its way. The day job feeds the body and the photography feeds the soul.

That being the way of it, I spend more time on the day job than I do on the photography, a lot more. So much so that it's been a couple of weeks since I've had the time to go on a shoot, and I had the itch.

Today is Sunday and I'd set aside part of the day just for me and my camera. I was going to scratch that itch by golly, but when I stepped out of my front door I saw that it was raining. Imagine that! Rain! In Seattle of all places!

I grew up here, so I'm used to a bit of rain now and then. Anyone who's spent any time here at all will tell you that if you let a little rain stop you from doing what you want to do you won't get anything done. It wasn't raining that hard anyway, and I figured that by the time I got to where I was going, it might not even be raining there.

So I went.

And I got wet.

Ain't no big deal; I'd been wet before. I did mention that I'm from around here, right?

The thing is, my equipment got wet too. Not a lot, but enough to allow for some moisture to condense inside the lens. I was none too pleased, but I didn't freak out. I removed the lens from the camera body, enclosed it in a small paper bag (lens cap down) and placed it on the highest shelf I could find. I then turned the heat up a bit. In a few hours time the condensation appeared to be gone. I'm going to leave it up there for a couple of days, just to be sure, but I think it's going to be OK.

There's a lesson here; maybe more than one. I'll leave it to you to glean whatever you will from my cautionary tale, but for me, I'm going to do my best to keep my equipment dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment